New article and today we are going to deal with an issue that usually worries a lot of dads and moms with little ones running around the house, and it is the issue of air conditioning and babies. When the heat starts to get too hot, the temperatures can be very high and it can become unbearable to be at home for us adults, as well as for our babies and children. That is why air conditioning is not harmful to babies, as long as it is used rationally and correctly.
Many of us have asked ourselves more than once whether using air conditioning is good for our children. Especially in summer, in many cities in Spain, temperatures of over 40ºC during the day are quietly exceeded. And in the case of the nights it is not much better, surpassing without problems the 30 ºC in many occasions.
Using air conditioning doesn’t have to be bad for your family’s health. In fact, it becomes very useful in providing us with a high degree of comfort and a healthy environment in our homes. As with everything, the best thing to do is to use this equipment with your head.
To make use of our air conditioning equipment we must have 2 very important factors: humidity and temperature. Here are some recommendations for maintaining a good temperature at home and taking good care of our appliances.
- As already mentioned, an important factor is temperature. It is ideal to maintain an ambient temperature around 23 to 25 degrees. That temperature will be more than enough, remember that the little ones in the house are much more sensitive to temperatures than we are to them. It is important that the temperature difference between the outside and the inside of the house does not exceed 10 degrees, thus avoiding sudden changes in temperature. In addition, it is not recommended that there are large temperature differences between the rooms of our home. For example, if it is our baby’s bedtime and we have to move him from our living room to his room to put him to bed, try to make the temperature difference between the two rooms the least pronounced.
- It prevents the air flow from being directed directly to our children. In addition, it is a recommendation that we extend to all people, not just babies. Receiving a direct flow of cold air is totally contraindicated for our health. Currently, the vast majority of air conditioning equipment has mechanisms to regulate air flow. A direct use of air can cause our mucous membranes and airways to dry out.
- It is much better to cool the room before we put our children to bed, even before we go to sleep, than to keep our air conditioners on at night. We’ll talk about this a little later, though.
- Air conditioning removes humidity and dries out the mucous membranes and can cause stinging or itchy eyes, so it is necessary to ensure that there is a certain degree of humidity in the air… You should use a cool air humidifier to counteract humidity. You can also use a container of water in the bedroom in the summer or some moist towels in the radiator in the winter. If you use a humidifier, keep in mind that it should never exceed 50% humidity. The reason is that if we maintain a high level of humidity in our home, fungus can grow in the air and cause allergies to our babies and children.
- Dust, pollen, mites, fungi and even microorganisms that can cause respiratory diseases accumulate in the filters, so it is very important to keep our filters clean and the equipment in perfect condition. Maintenance is a key issue. It is very important to take extreme precautions to keep our filters in perfect condition like the first day. The degree of cleanliness will directly affect the quality of the air we breathe in our home. If you need information or to make a revision to the filters of your air conditioning, do not hesitate to contact us. It is important to check our air conditioning equipment thoroughly before using it, especially if it has not been used for several months. Most appliances today have filters. That means having to change them or clean them with suitable products but most people forget that they have to change them until they notice a nuisance, as is usually the case, a bad smell of the air coming out of the appliance. When this happens, it’s usually too late. From APlus group we recommend that if there are children at home, and you want to use the air conditioning unit, you should change or treat the air filters when recommended by the manufacturer or failing that, to avoid unpleasant odors or other nuisances, once a year. So that you don’t forget when to change or clean the filters, we recommend you at the beginning of the summer.
- We recommend that during the day, you ventilate the rooms and the house in general for a while. It is not recommended to keep the air conditioning and humidifiers on 24 hours a day.
If we have good quality air conditioning equipment in our home, we can set the temperature at no less than 24 degrees and not receive the air jet directly, there should be no problem to keep the air conditioning on at night. When nighttime temperatures are above 30°C it may be best to keep the equipment on and keep the environment cool and you can rest.
There are many people who think that fans are a better choice than air conditioning equipment, but the reality is usually different, and they are not a better choice. The vast majority of people place the fan on them to cool down, and with this maneuver it is possible to cool down, but this favours dehydration. This causes intermittent temperature changes in our body, and this is one of the worst options.
Air conditioners play a crucial role in maintaining a comfortable temperature in our home. In the summer season it is very useful as long as we make a reasonable and responsible use of it.
If you follow our advice given in this article, you will be able to enjoy a comfortable atmosphere for you and the little ones of the house.